where do i find pickled peaches?

Trying to plan an heirloom recipe thanksgiving. Need to procure pickled peaches as peach season has past. Online? in Philly or DC?

asked by spuntino about 7 years ago

wssmom

Don't know about Philly or DC but here are a couple online:

http://www.blueridgejams.com/products/Pickled-Peaches.html

http://www.waldoward.com/Product.aspx?P=128

Melusine

My Great-Grandma Smetzer's version of pickled peaches: "Canned Peach halves; vinegar and sugar 1:2 ratio; cinnamon, cloves, cinnamon sticks, ground cloves. Heat through." Some clearer instructions:

Drain two large cans peach halves or slices. Halves look nicer, I think; slices are easier to deal with when they're served. Depends on the other elements on the relish tray.

Put the peaches in a large, non-reactive stockpot or saucepan.

Add 1 cup good apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of sugar. The idea is to cover the peaches, so as long as you keep the ratio, you can go up or down with this.

Throw in some cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, a tablespoon of ground cinnamon, and a teaspoon of ground cloves.

A good shot of brandy wouldn't be out of line.

Bring everything to a boil, and turn of the heat. Let the peaches cool in the brine, and then refrigerate. They keep for several weeks in the fridge, without going through proper canning procedures.

You should be able to find good quality frozen peaches, even, I believe, organic. Once they're pickled, fresh picked is not such a consideration as other uses.

spuntino

It's a childhood memory thing from my dad, so pickled is actually important!

If I wasn't clear -- I think frozen peaches will give results close to fresh.