🔕 🔔

Can I change a muffin recipe into a cookie recipe? I have a muffin recipe that sounds very good but I'd like to make it into cookies instead.

asked by Becky H about 1 month ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

added about 1 month ago

I'm going to risk repeating what Windischgirl said: What's the muffin recipe and what do you like about it? Start there and maybe you can adapt that into a basic cookie dough.

She touches on something that's really the core of experimental baking. RATIOS. If people thought about baking as a series of ratios that can be tweaked for different results, baking would be so much easier and more fun. Such a good suggestion and Ruhlman is a good place to start. It makes me smile to read that!

added about 1 month ago

If you are interested - this is the recipe I'd like to try as a cookie:

http://www.chelseasmessyapron...

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image
added about 1 month ago

You might want to consider a recipe like this: https://food52.com/recipes...
Add in a bit of cocoa to make the dough chocolatey. The texture will be similar to old-fashioned peanut butter cookies, but with the flavors of the muffin recipe you like. And they are GF! Is that what appeals about the muffin recipe? (That and the classic buckeye flavors?)

added about 1 month ago

Have you made these muffins before? If its the flavors you're into, you have a plethora of recipes out there that echo those characteristics. If its the flavors AND the "healthy" aspect (which is a matter of opinion), then there is hope:

If you're feeling adventurous you could play around with the proportions of the recipe a bit to make it into something cookie-like. What makes it muffin-y is the addition of so much liquid and the baking powder. I say eliminate the baking powder and the yogurt and then hold back the applesauce. Mix together the remaining ingredients (including the egg) and only then add the apple sauce until you have a cookie dough consistency. You may not need the applesauce at all, but its difficult to tell without having made them before. Since there's no wheat flour in this, you have a smaller chance of over-mixing. Just be careful not to over whip the egg or mix it for an extended period of time. You can still over mix a dough without gluten, but you have a lot more wiggle room.

If you're not successful the first time, try again. Taste the recipe and decide what you think need to change and give it another go. How do you think recipes are created to begin with? Trial and error.

If you're not feeling up to the challenge, or you don't want the investment....just try and google something similar.