🔕 🔔

Empty ramekin in the oven?

I want to make a round challah loaf with a well in the middle. Can I bake the bread using an empty ramekin to hold the shape I want? The ramekin I want to use is Pyrex, and I've used it to make creme brûlée, but is it safe for it to bake empty?

asked by Sheree about 1 month ago

added about 1 month ago

I would fill the ramekin about three quarters full with water...as I sometimes put one in the oven when baking bread.
This way, you get the challah center hole, safety so the ramekin doesn'the Crack, benefit of the moisture in the oven.

D3bac74e 5f39 48b3 adac 6d4be2b52980  img 0081
added about 1 month ago

I will give that a try! Thanks, Nancy!

added about 1 month ago

Sheree - glad to help.
The reason for the water, by the way, is to create steam in the oven and help develop the crust.