🔕 🔔

Help!! Galette Crust not coming together

Companys coming and Im making the following crust for a cherry galette:
CRUST
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened dutch cocoa powder
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into ¼ inch slices
6 tablespoons cold water

Ive already put 2 more T ice water and it literally looks like dry sand! Im not the greatest at making crusts so I dont trust my instincts as much as I usually would. Is it because Im making it in a food processor? Would it come together if I worked it by hand? What should I do? I dont want to end up with a mess! Thank you!!

asked by Jennifer W 3 months ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

There are a lot of ingredients in this crust that are going to interfere with the structure. Sugar, cocoa, butter are all going to act as shorteners making it quite difficult to work with. You could keep adding water and it will come together, but its still going to be finicky. In my opinion, simple is better. If you have lovely cherries, a simple flaky pie crust or silky tart crust is going to really highlight the fruit and won't give you as much trouble as this.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Try Ina's Summer Fruit Crostata recipe. Have made this many times with great success! Never fails to get rave reviews.