soggy puff pastry crust

What dry ingredient can I use as a barrier between savory tomato pie filing and crust to avoid a soggy bottom? Thanks so much!

asked by lisa goldberg about 1 year ago

No ingredient but air...reverse the dish. Put the savory tomato pie filling in to individual oven-proof dishes (cocotte, porcelain souffle dish etc) and top with a round of puff pastry. Then, bake. Like soup with a puff pastry cap.
To eat, your spoon cuts through the warm crisp pastry & adds a bit of the filling.
See this soup recipe for technique:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe...

lisa goldberg

This is a great idea-going to try it and let you know :)

Stephanie G

I wonder if you could use an egg white and blind bake or maybe crushed crackers? I'm really just wondering out loud...I've never tried it.

lisa goldberg

Update: Upside down savory tomato pie-AMAZING. Then I got motivated and made a pecan toffee pie and a cherry lime pie and I used crushed shortbread fingers to separate the crust/filling-DELICIOUS, buttery crispy bottom. Will be doing this in the future. Goodbye, soggy bottom pie...

Lisa Goldberg - so glad this worked for you! Nancy

These Impossibly Fudgy Chocolate Cakes Have One Big Secret

No butter, no oil -- just one magical ingredient.

Genius Chocolate Cake

Inspired by Chef Bryant Ng's creamy classic.

30-Minute Chickpea Curry

Let's settle this once and for all, shall we?

The Best Carbonara, According to an Italian Chef

What's New in the Neighborhood

Holiday recipes from The German-Jewish cookbook

Break the Yom Kippur Fast with Salad