🔕 🔔

Does anyone miss the contests!?!? ...and find this site rather dull as of late!?!

Let's speak up! I miss you guys! I cannot see how the fact that the British prince having a school menu that has lentils has anything to do with inspiring me.

asked by zoemetro uk 6 days ago

Bb8eebca 137f 4c7a b30f f248fff3f3af  recentpic

Yeah, totally a bummer.....was a fun distracted and way to share. You totally read my mind. It was never about a prize it was more about respect from other cooks. Makes me sad.

Yeah, totally a bummer.....was a fun distraction and way to share. You totally read my mind. It was never about a prize it was more about respect from other cooks. Makes me sad.

The "interaction" is gone.

A7ddfad8 0c86 45e9 84e3 db0f6f338e14  barefoot contessa

Wow! Thank you for your opinion! Let's see if there are some other answers in the next 24 hours.....but I do not see any of my favorite cooks logging in any more :-((

I agree! I'm sure the contests were an awful lot of work, but it kept me engaged much more.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

They were something to look forward to. There is a response on another thread from Food52 that the contests will return in a different format. Takes time.
For me, I enjoy the articles. I pick and choose which ones peak my interest. There's something for everyone.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I miss the contests also. Here is the thread that BB mentioned:
https://food52.com/hotline...

I totally agree. In fact, I recently wrote a letter to the editors telling them this very thing. I also feel like the site has been kind of 'dumbed down'. It used to be a fantastic site with really accomplished amateur cooks who inspired the heck out of me. I hardly ever come here anymore.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Miss the contests.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Totally agree with these comments. Especially about the content being dumbed down. I suspect they want to appeal to 20-somethings in their first apartments? The recipe compilations usually feature recipes by the editors or "celebrity" chefs. So it's not really about home cooks anymore. I feel like they have lost their way. Or discovered that e-commerce is a better moneymaker.

Indeed, these are all great points! Now, it just feels like a "William and Sonoma" site that uses recipes to sell their stuff. I so miss the anticipation of the contest deadline--checking in each evening to see who added recipes, cooking a few and earmarking others. My friends were always excited to come to dinner to try the winners.

Pierino, you are definitely one of the people I miss. What's the process for getting an article published on the site? I've tried, but have never had a response.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Hi Margie, I'm so sorry to hear that you haven't received a response. We've had some staff changes and perhaps emails were lost in the shuffle (not an excuse! It shouldn't happen regardless, just a possible reason). Feel free to resubmit to [email protected] or email me directly.

Margie, here was an article for 2016 about how to pitch a story to editorial staff: https://food52.com/blog...

Hi all, as BerryBaby noted, we are working on a plan for the contests, I know it's taking awhile, and I'm sorry for that. For some of you who are very active on the Hotline, I probably sound like a broken record, but I promise that the community truly is a priority and we are listening to you!

Thanks, Lisanne. I think that's the article that prompted me to send a pitch.

Yes, I find the ancient questions annoying, too--couldn't something be done to prevent questions of a certain age from being answered again and again?

Maybe they should delete threads over a year or two old. Information changes so rapidly that many of them are out dated.
Plus, after so many years, the original poster has surely received their answer and moved on.

Lindsey-Jean, would it be possible to disable the answer function for questions over a certain age? That would be a welcome improvement.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

It's entirely possible. Reddit typically sunsets discussions that are beyond a certain age (six months?).

Whether or not Food52's forum system has that functionality built in currently is a separate issue.

It's really up to Food52's staffers to decide whether or not they will put in the effort to program this into their system, but the fact that others have done this completely possible.

I will absolutely pass on the suggestion Margie, thank you.

Other than the contests, what suggestions or ideas would people like to see?

The Hotline used to have good discussions--that's what I miss the most. I wonder if the site's effort to appeal to new, inexperienced cooks may have resulted in questions that are rather repetive and uninteresting to people who have more kitchen experience. I would like to see a more diversified use of the Hotline than we get now.

I would love to see a section that features the new recipes that are posted. As well, it would be helpful to have a sort option to find a member's newest recipes. Another idea as a follow up to "The Piglet," would be to have an area where members can post photos/reviews/changes to recipes that they tried from the books.

added 1 day ago

Zoemetro, Food52 for many years actually had a "new recipes" field in the navigation bar; many people have asked for it back over the years. Food52 must have some reason for not re-instituting it. It can't possibly be the difficulty of coding. Of that I am certain. (I wrote my first software code at age 17, back in the 1970's. I'd volunteer to fix this for Food52, if they'd let me.) This simple feature just is not a priority for them.

But don't despair. When this came up on a Hotline thread a few years ago, MrsLarkin generously shared her workaround - this linked search, which you can save to your bookmarks https://food52.com/recipes...

If you are interested in looking at the most recent recipes of a particular cook, you can go to his or her profile page (search the user by name in the general search box, and select "users" from the drop-down menu). Then click on the link to the user's recipes. Those are organized chronologically, so the most recent should appear on the first page.

Hope this helps. ;o)

ktr
added 1 day ago

I would like to see the content of the articles changed. It used to be that the articles taught you something about either food history or how to cook something better. Now the majority of them seem to be based on what's trending in social media with a link somehow to food. I used to save articles to reference later and i have not done that in a long time. The social media based articles can be amusing, but I'd like to see more articles again that taught me something and helped me become a better cook.

1f596ae9 f36c 4022 8b52 0c8583fd70b0  meg b f52

I sense that the contests don't make any money for the site and they were a lot of work for the staff and that is why they have dropped in priority. I get that - this is a business not just a hobby. Seems like many online food sites are struggling to find ways to make these ventures viable - when the NYT food site starts charging - you know it is a serious situation. Seems like perhaps the cookbooks (salad, ice cream) have become the moneymakers and the focus. I am fine with that - but as an old member of the community I would just like to hear a straight answer to why the contests went from once a week to once a year. It was so inspiring and I still recommend this site to others but I don't frequent it like I used to. That makes me sad - this was one of the most formative in my development as a home cook. And the community was fabulous - just thinking about someone like Kukla who we got to know through her recipes in the contests. Inspired cooking that i never would have searched for on my own but were brought to the forefront through the contests.

Old questions on the hot line being recycled may be annoying but surely are not a cause for the disenchantment of so many long term members. Personally I find the “areas of expertise” for some of the current writers a total waste. Many of them are degenerating into the realm of click bait and I swear I will never again look at any of the articles starting with topics such as “taking the internet by storm” or “Instagram goes wild”. I was never personally caught up with the contests but I still find them a source for wonderful recipes, that usually come with direct access to the creator and/or many other cooks who had tried the recipe. In the last 5 years or so I have picked up so many little pieces of advice, mostly from other members, that not only have made be a better cook but have made me more interested in cooking. The current crop of celebrity recipes seem to often come with more issues and less feedback than recipes developed by dedicated community members. I have no problem with the concept that the site is a business and needs to be run like one. It just seems incredibly sad that some middle ground between the historical site and what “sells” cannot be found.

added 1 day ago

True the old hotline questions are a small quibble; the larger issue your last comment: the original concept, which was so refreshing, about respecting home cooks and their contributions, as opposed to the "big names" (although I do love & save contributions by Alice Medrich and others). Agree with you about the breathless Instagram and Internet clickbait--also the "why you shoulds" "you're welcome" "would've-could've" clichés.
The contests really enlivened and gave energy to the site, and challenged me to come up with new ideas or contribute family treasures while we still have them. I will look forward to their return.

Yes. If editors or out there somewhere listening, I'm irritated by columns that are trying to sell me something and by anything about celebrity chefs. I come here for unique, high quality recipes and food writing with a community atmosphere. Too much of the aforementioned drivel drives longtime readers and community members away.

All the monetizing issues aside (and there are many), what really bugs me is that the editors seem to think it has to be all things to all people. This site originally leaned towards people who already know how to boil potatoes (and do some pretty fancy things with them after that!). There are a million sites for people to figure out the basics. I loved this site because it gave me ideas and inspiration to elevate the food I was already making. Now it's just another average site. Hardly worthy of the genius of thirschfield and chefjune and antoniajames and, and...

F8bcab55 ddd5 4fea b957 f93cfd2a9ccd  dsc02631
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

added 1 day ago

I too miss the contests. They were motivation to create new recipes and I loved seeing what everyone else came up with.