Question about salt packed anchovies

Samin's recipe calls for salt packed anchovies. I'm at the store now, all are olive oil and salt packed. Will that be ok? Not as good?

• Posted by: Dona
  • September 19, 2017

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 19, 2017

You should be fine.

Dona
Dona September 19, 2017

Thank you!!

Dona
Dona September 19, 2017

I usually buy anchovie paste but I want to be a big girl and use the real thing.

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 19, 2017

Funny! I was the same way until this site made me a convert. Go for it and you will taste a great difference. I now use them quite often cooked into dishes and they keep forever in the refrigerator.

Nancy September 19, 2017

You will have more luck in finding salt-packed anchoives (and capers, for that matter) in an Italian deli or grocery. If available and you have the time, wait to get them there.
Not seeing the recipe, I can only guess that it will be good but different. Unless somewhere (headnote, directions?) says the salt-packed fish are important.

Dona
Dona September 19, 2017

SLC, they do skeeve me out but I need to get over it. If I'm going to eat something I should be able to deal with it.