How can I make the hottest, homemade horseradish?

I've tried grating fresh horseradish, but on its own it is little more than a slightly flavored grated root. I tried adding white wine vinegar & a touch of salt, letting it meld for hours, but I have failed to concoct the perfect condiment that clears the sinuses. Ideas? Tricks I have eluded me?

asked by eliza about 1 year ago

Ingredients are simple...horseradish, vinegar, salt. See Serious Eats who, as usual, have an exhaustive treatment.
And remind us that pungent varies. Maybe you just got a low-megaton root this time at the market.

caninechef

Maybe your root was old and had lost its zip? Or are you sure you had horseradish? I know when my brother dug up fresh horseradish root and grated it you could not do it inside the house the fumes were so bad.

janet erikso

G