How can I make the hottest, homemade horseradish?

I've tried grating fresh horseradish, but on its own it is little more than a slightly flavored grated root. I tried adding white wine vinegar & a touch of salt, letting it meld for hours, but I have failed to concoct the perfect condiment that clears the sinuses. Ideas? Tricks I have eluded me?

asked by eliza 12 months ago

Ingredients are simple...horseradish, vinegar, salt. See Serious Eats who, as usual, have an exhaustive treatment.
And remind us that pungent varies. Maybe you just got a low-megaton root this time at the market.

caninechef

Maybe your root was old and had lost its zip? Or are you sure you had horseradish? I know when my brother dug up fresh horseradish root and grated it you could not do it inside the house the fumes were so bad.

janet erikso

G