pumpkin puree and canned problem

Hello !
In fact I'm a new dealer with pumpkin recipes and I've never thought of pumpkin in food until I've tried those desserts in my fav cafe in fall time , and I tired to make pumpkin recipes by myself but the problem that we don't have canned pumpkin in our country ,so I decided to make pumpkin puree to use it in those recipes , sadly they all failed , the pie , cupcakes , pumpkin bread and cake they all have been juicy and runny and they take waaay too long in the oven and still juicy , the cake texture and pie are very bad and not yummy at all .
So my question , is there any way to make better pumpkin puree like less juicer and better texture so desserts won't fail and be consistent .
and Thanks a lot .

asked by Jumanashivdasani about 1 year ago

The watery results could be coming from the pumpkins in your area or your cooking method or both.
There are a bunch of reliable cooking methods and recipes for preparing pumpkin puree in the attached search...allrecipes, Alton Brown, Pioneer Woman, etc.
Most have include baking pieces at 400f (just over 200C) for about an hour, then pureeing.
If you are doing something similar, try cooking a bit longer and/or draining after pureeing and before baking.
Hope these suggestions help.

Here's the link:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+to+make+pumpkin+puree&oq=how+to&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j69i65l3j69i57.2083j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Jumanashivdasani

Thanks Nancy for you help !
Yeah that's the method I use for
I bake at 210C for an hour ,then I mash it .. during mashing I get some juice on top of the puree ! ,, but I am interested in draining or baking after mashing method and I will try that , hope this work !

foofaraw

How do you cook your pumpkin? In general, halving or cubing the pumpkin, roast it in the oven, then mashing/pureeing yield a consistency closer to canned pumpkin than boiling/steaming. If the consistency after pureeing is too watery, spread the puree in cookie pan then bake it on low temperature until it become drier.

Jumanashivdasani

Yeah that's how I do it , I roast in in the oven for about an hour other I mash it , but I never thought of baking it again to dry it , thanks so much I will try that !!

Stephanie B.

Do you know what kind of squash you're using? Water content can vary a lot by type of winter squash. I've done winter squash puree at home, and there have been times when it turned out a watery mess because it was a watery squash. I've had consistent success with dense, sweet varieties of winter squash such as Kobocha and Buttercup. Varieties that have not worked for me are pumpkins and Red Kuri squash (even though this one is supposed to be very similar to Kobacha).

Even though everything this time of year is pumpkin flavored, a lot of canned "pumpkin" is actually a mix of winter squashes, at least in the US. The iconic big, orange pumpkins are actually one of my least favorite to bake with. Apart from being watery, I find their sweetness and texture is very inconsistent as well.

If you still have your watery puree and don't feel like spending more time trying to thicken it for baking, cooking with pumpkin puree is much more forgiving. I bet your puree would be great in soups, chilis, curries, etc.

Jumanashivdasani

First thanks for your reply .
Yeah I usually use orange pumpkin or butternut , I've never thought to try another squash
and orange pumpkin result is very similar to your result , watery and inconsistent.
Soups and chilis are good with this kinda puree right , but the fact that I couldn't enjoy my own pumpkin desserts makes me really frustrated !!
Anyway I will try buttercup or other winter squash .

Catherine

If they are available in you area, get a sugar pumpkin or a pie pumpkin. They are small and would yield about 2-2 1/2 cups or so of puree. I second the advice re: roasting. I usually do two or three at a time - cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, and roast them on a parchment-lined baking sheet (with a rim) at 400 for 30-40 minutes. They are done when a fork pierces them easily. You can mash them or puree them with a food processor and stick whatever you're not using right away in the freezer. I never use canned and I always get good results from a sugar pumpkin :) Good luck!

Jumanashivdasani

Thanks Catherine for your reply !
yes that's exactly how I do it for baking and preparing
that issue is in the mashing step , I always get water juice on the top of the puree and that's what's ruining my recipes !
Have you ever tried your puree in desserts ?

Dina

This was my thought too - that perhaps the problem is with using big pumpkins instead of little sugar pie pumpkins. I've made puree from the small ones, and haven't had an issue. However, if I recall the recipe did call for cooking down the puree with other ingredients (it was for pie).

Catherine

Hi Jumanashivdasani,

I only use the pumpkin puree for baking and it has never been too wet. A friend of my mother bakes her jack-o-lantern, so a large pumpkin, after Halloween and my mom tells me that her pumpkin pie is watery. If you can find them a "pie" or "sugar" pumpkin is the way to go.

What you can do before you use the puree in baked goods is squeeze out the extra moisture. America's Test Kitchen spreads pumpkin puree onto paper towels and then squeezes or pats out the moisture. It may sound difficult and messy but it's quite easy. The puree will almost peel off of the paper towel. If you can use a clean/pristine kitchen towel and do the same.

Half Pint -
I also recommend draining above, but I was thinking of a fine-mesh wire strainer.
This paper towel idea also sounds good.
Last, I have used cheesecloth or Johnson & Johnson cloths to drain yogurt or tofu; do you know if they would work with pumpkin puree?

Jumanashivdasani

WOW ! that sounds good
I will try this method and I don't care how messy is that
I just wanna enjoy my own pumpkin desserts without being frustrated !
Thanks a lot mate , hope this work !

Jumanashivdasani

WOW ! that sounds good
Thanks a lot mate , hope this work !

@Nancy, I think the muslin/cheesecloth would work but you would need a lot of layers, more to wick away the moisture than to squeeze out the water. A thick muslin or a terry towel is ideal.

@HalfPint...ok, thanks for the note on thicker or multilayer cloth for wicking the moisture away :)

Jumanashivdasani

First thanks for your help.
Yeah I usually use butternut squash and orange

Foodie Esquire

N Jo

Foodie Esquire

I had the exact same problem with watery pumpkin puree in the past. Then I tried putting the puree into a fine mesh strainer, setting the strainer over a bowl, and letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Voila, the next day the puree would be thick and dense, just like the canned type. Good luck!