🔕 🔔

What are the best apples for an apple cake?

asked by bailboy about 1 month ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px
added about 1 month ago

It's impossible to declare one apple to be the best for apple cake (or pie) as there are 7500 known cultivars of apple and no one can test all of them.

See Kenji's analysis on ten apples for apple pie:

http://sweets.seriouseats...

Some cultivars are highly regional and many do not keep well, so they are relatively unknown outside of their normal area of cultivation. The Gravenstein apple is one such cultivar that is largely a West Coast favorite (its season is rather short).

Moreover, for some recipes, you may want an mushier/mealier apple, for others, you might prefer something that holds its shape and texture.

added about 1 month ago

CV is of course correct but I will throw in a vote for Cortland, my favorite all around apple. Great for baking( they do not deteriorate into mush) or out of hand. A NY state variety, probably available at least through out the northeast. This is an older variety, developed and first marketed in the early 1900's.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

added about 1 month ago

Depends on what texture and taste you want. I like Granny Smith, tart, firm texture. For eating I like Sweet Tangos, Honey Crisp and Fuji....sweet, crisp. A great site for Apple information dish.allrecipes.com
BB

added about 1 month ago

I prefer Braeburns and Jonagolds for apple cake; when they are not available at my farmers' market, I use Honeycrisps or Fujis. ;o)

4ffc52a0 0010 400a a59f 4851f111062e  fb avatar
added about 1 month ago

I'd suggest Golden Delicious. Not a favorite for eating in general, but great for a quick Apple Galette (see Jacques Pepin's recipe in Heart and Soul in the Kitchen) or a Philadelphia Jewish Apple Cake.

C8bd9f4b a7b2 4d54 81bd a765cd081b29  th
added about 1 month ago

Let's keep this simple. If I had only one to pick, Honey Crisp would win .