🔕 🔔

mayonnaise tastes oily - how can I fix this?

Made Mayo with an immersion blender in a jar - used a classic 1 egg, 1 cup oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp mustard ratio. Even after several rounds of blending the taste is distinctly oily - should I add more lemon/salt/mustard?

asked by Shambhavi 27 days ago

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

You could substitute vinegar for the lemon. The acetic acid is stronger and rounds up the fatty taste more effectively. 1 1/2 - 2 tsps. Also, you could easily reduce the oil to 3/4 cups.

Agree with Droplet.
Have successfully made mayo with less than 1c oil: start checking at 3/4c, and only add more oil as taste & texture demand.
Meanwhile, for this batch, in addition to the vinegar, serve it with more sour things - citrus, pickles etc - and when using it in a prepared dish, don't add more fat (butter, meat drippings, etc) to avoid emphasizing the oily part of the sauce.

Try beating in another egg yolk.

Ba67bb65 4a48 4c32 9267 a44ff4dae0fb  tobacco road 010

I agree with all the above. And next time, check for taste as you drizzle in the oil.
I would also add a dash of Tabasco.
Good luck!