A question about a recipe: Barmbrack: Ireland's Traditional Halloween Fruit Bread.

I have a question about the recipe "Barmbrack: Ireland's Traditional Halloween Fruit Bread. " from Deborah Reeves. According to my calculations 3/4 oz of yeast is 2T + 3/4 t yeast...to turn creamy in 1 tsp of milk? I have a thick paste. Is this yeast amount right????

• Posted by: Wendy
  • November 1, 2017

Liz D
Liz D November 1, 2017

3/4 oz yeast is one packet, at least that's how my active yeast packets are labeled. I opened one up and measured it, it's 2 1/4 teaspoons; 2 1/4 Tablespoons would be too much

AntoniaJames November 1, 2017

The yeast amount mentioned by Liz D sounds correct. You'd need more than 1 tsp of water to make it creamy, I'd add a few tablespoons at least and not worry about its effect on the rest of the recipe. With all that dried fruit, the moisture level is going to vary anyway.

Wendy
Wendy November 4, 2017

Fleishmann's yeast pkg says: "Three 1/4 oz envelopes, Net Weight 3/4 oz", so I guess the recipe calls for 3 packages.

I ended up making it with about 2-1/2 tsp yeast and stirred it with a couple Tbs water to make a smooth substance. It ended up working out fine with this lesser amount of yeast.