Well Made Stock

What is the importance of a well made stock?

asked by Mahfuzah Azman 8 months ago

Good flavor.

A well made stock can be enjoyed by itself, like a consommé or a Japanese dashi.

A stock that is that tasty makes for a great base for soups and sauces.

For further viewpoints, I suggest you go to the library and read some cookbooks. Many cookbook authors have waxed philosophically about the importance of a good stock.

There are too many opinions on this topic to summarize in a Q&A forum such as this.

SonjaM

Any recipe that calls for stock will be better if the stock is homemade. The flavor is richer and deeper. I find making stock to be well worth the minimal effort - if you are new to making stock have no fear it's very easy. :)

MMH
MMH

I agree. If you taste the canned stuff side by side with homemade, you willl never buy the can again.

kim
kim

And, if you want a deeper flavor for your stock, roast the bones, chicken or turkey carcasses or vegetables before cooking them down into the broth. It creates a delicious, dark stock.

Robert Hickey

I am yet to find a commercially made stock that doesn't contain salt and this is one of the reasons I always make my own. Furthermore, I find the process of making your own stock to be very satisfying!