🔕 🔔

How long should my stock simmer?

stock questions. How long should it simmer and how many days prior to using should it be made?

asked by Ellie Landau about 1 year ago

F7a07c52 dec8 4219 915b 500fe04dd17a  jeremy profile
Jeremy Beker

Senior Software Engineer at Food52

I usually keep mine at just below a simmer (180 F) for about 3-4 hours and then freeze it for use later. Here is one good guide: https://food52.com/blog...

Thank you so much!

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

How long to simmer a stock depends on what kind. Chicken/turkey stock needs to simmer for quite awhile - 6-8 hours! Vegetable stock takes a lot less time (2 hours). You can make stock quite a ways in advance of using it - it freezes great (up to 3-4 months!) or will hold in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.

3924c182 e512 401f b3dd 4ac6133888cd  2016 02 20 22 05 02
PetetheBaker

Pete is the wine reviewer (and CRO) for Business Insider who believes the only thing better than a delicious expensive bottle of wine is an delicious inexpensive bottle.

If you have a pressure cooker this can be a great way to make stock in less time. I usually roast the bones and then throw in the vegetables and pressure cook my stock for 1 - 1.5 hours.