How to store chicken pie - freezable?

I made a nice chicken pie which contains double cream chicken and lots of veg, along with a pastry topping. My question is - I made way too much (like a whole extra pie) and want to know the best way to store it please!

• Posted by: kevyn
  • February 28, 2011

katiebakes
katiebakes February 28, 2011

What I would do is wrap it in foil (heavy duty if you have it) and then put it in a freezer bag. For extra protection, I normally double bag my frozen items. I recently made a chicken pot pie that sounds very similar and froze it and it did just fine! Hope this helps :)

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow February 28, 2011

I make an extra pie on purpose. It's the perfect meal when I'm travelling and my husband has to make his own dinner. Just freeze the pie with uncooked pastry and then bake it straight from the freezer.

pierino February 28, 2011

Well, Marie Callendar freezes 'em without too much harm so you should be okay. The risk in reheating is burning the outer edges of the crust before the middle is cooked.

kevyn
kevyn February 28, 2011

just FYI the pie already has cooked crust and is in a large dish (too big for any freezer bag that I own!) Thanks very much for the responses. I guess just wrap it up in lots of foil and then some cling film is the answer

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow February 28, 2011

Do you have some larger ramekins? Maybe scoop some of the filling and a little crust into ramekins and freeze individually.

ChefDaddy
ChefDaddy February 28, 2011

Can you freeze to a soft state and cut into pieces and then individually freeze them and then wrap or put in a bag for freezing? Just a thought.

innoabrd
innoabrd March 1, 2011

I like ChefDaddy's suggestion. I use ziploc vacuum bags and often divvy into smaller bags before freezing. Getting most of the air out is the key to freezer storage and why vacuum bags are the best.

kevyn
kevyn March 1, 2011

I assume you would cook from frozen rather than defrost? (just wanted to say thanks for the answers, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster!)

innoabrd
innoabrd March 1, 2011

Definitely, cook right from frozen. In future you might think about keeping some disposable aluminum loaf pans on hand. If you see you've made too much, you can just construct a small 'extra' and freeze that for later.