I have a tons of left over of Turkey, what should I do with it tomorrow?

6bdb8dc0 98d4 479b b43e 3008600a5834  image

asked by Natalie Lo 8 months ago

1071292522

I usually offer leftovers to the dinner guests.

Turkey sandwiches are a pretty popular way to consume leftovers for the days after Thanksgiving although I tend to tire of this rather quickly.

One can also turn some of it into soup (which freezes well).

Some of the meat can be frozen for use in salads, tacos, etc.

I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas.

Valerio Farris
Valerio Farris

Valerio is a Staff Writer at Food52.

Delicious! I hope your Thanksgiving went well. As for leftovers, there's a bunch you can do. Check out what our site recommends:

Here's a pot pie that folds in all that remaining turkey:
https://food52.com/blog...

Or have a peek at what some of our community likes to do:
https://food52.com/blog...

If all of this still feels too heavy and you're craving something a little lighter to balance out today's big meal, why not toss together shredded lean turkey meat with mixed greens and some of yesterday's vegetables. Splash it with some oil and balsamic and you're good to go.

Turkey Tetrazzini!

Michele

Relive the meal without the stress of preparation on Friday (while watching holiday movies!), turkey sandwiches on great bread with mayo and a relish (cranberry or other fruit type chutney), put into soup with vegetables and noodles, make a turkey pot pie, or turkey tetrazzini (and you can make a lot of it and freeze it in portions for later).

Last year I made an Indonesian-style cold salad with turkey, cooked and raw vegetables (potatoes, blanched pea pods, etc), with a peanut, lime and tamarind dressing. https://food52.com/recipes....

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Turkey soup is a good option. I'm thinking about a shepherd's pie today.

beavergoodman

I like to use recipes with a different flavor profile to mix it up a bit: Turkey enchiladas, turkey chili, turkey pho.

Stephanie B.

My favorite is posole (red or green are both good!). Carve the meat off the turkey, use the bones and whatever is left to make the stock for my posole, strain the stock, and add back the meat, chilies, etc. Posole can take care of a lot of leftovers.

salena

Make turkey stock. Tear your carcass up into manageable pieces, add cold water, slowly bring to a boil. skim, and then add whatever veggies you have around (celery, carrots, onions, parsnips, celery root, etc). Cook for a long time with the top slightly ajar. You can freeze the stock to use instead of chicken stock but don't throw out those "used-up" vegetables. In my house whoever strains the stock gets to eat them. And bits of turkey can be saved for your soup.

Miss Karen

Make Mulligatawny soup :)

Dina

After a few days of straight leftovers, I made a big batch of turkey mole, from the leftover dark and white meat, half of which is now in the freezer, and then a big pot of stock from the carcass.

MMH
MMH

Freeze it and use it when you are craving it again.

MMH
MMH

Pour in a little stock to keep it moist.