🔕 🔔

, I'm faced with a bounty of veggies (artichoke, baby eggplants, broccoli rabe, garlic). What should I do with them?

asked by @jfreemanslade over 6 years ago

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

They would all be excellent roasted. Cut them all to a similar size so they roast evenly, douse them in olive oil, sea salt, and pop them into the oven at a relatively high temperature until they look dark or golden (depending on how crispy you like them.) A squeeze of lemon and a little peperoncino at the end and you're in business. Over a bed of grains or as a side dish, this could be great.

How about a garlic-broccoli rabe-parmesan pesto on some eggplant-artichoke ravioli? Or on a plain pasta or crostini with roasted eggplant and artichokes?

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Roasted as farro10 instructs, or sauteed, (with or without tomatoes and mushrooms), to top a pizza with fresh mozzarella or ricotta.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

My first thought was roasted - love farro10's idea!

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

Roasted for the eggplant and artichokes, for sure! I'd put them in a crusty baquette with fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of pesto.
I like a simple preparation of broccoli rabe. A simple saute, plenty of red pepper flakes, raisins and garlic. Add in some Balsamic at the end, et voila! Broccoli rabe is great with oricchiete pasta, with a bit of Italian sausage.

B374f07a 68c6 4595 a705 99ed993c08fc  coconut panna cotta small for web

Make a Thai style vegetable curry by simmering them in a mixture of curry paste and coconut milk, a pinch of brown sugar, a splash of fish or soy sauce and a squirt of lime at the end.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Is it less than helpful to say, send them to me?

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I have a yummy recipe for a smoky, sweet Babaghanouj you could use the eggplant for: http://verdantkitchen.wordpress...

If I had an excess of garlic I would roast the heads whole (with a centimeter sliced off the top), roast them, and then squeeze their insides into a batch of mashed potatoes!

Broccoli rabe and artichokes, after sauteeing with some dried herbs and lemon, would make a killer quiche.