, I'm faced with a bounty of veggies (artichoke, baby eggplants, broccoli rabe, garlic). What should I do with them?

asked by @jfreemanslade over 7 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

They would all be excellent roasted. Cut them all to a similar size so they roast evenly, douse them in olive oil, sea salt, and pop them into the oven at a relatively high temperature until they look dark or golden (depending on how crispy you like them.) A squeeze of lemon and a little peperoncino at the end and you're in business. Over a bed of grains or as a side dish, this could be great.

oliveannie

How about a garlic-broccoli rabe-parmesan pesto on some eggplant-artichoke ravioli? Or on a plain pasta or crostini with roasted eggplant and artichokes?

betteirene

Roasted as farro10 instructs, or sauteed, (with or without tomatoes and mushrooms), to top a pizza with fresh mozzarella or ricotta.

healthierkitchen

My first thought was roasted - love farro10's idea!

Hilarybee

Roasted for the eggplant and artichokes, for sure! I'd put them in a crusty baquette with fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of pesto.
I like a simple preparation of broccoli rabe. A simple saute, plenty of red pepper flakes, raisins and garlic. Add in some Balsamic at the end, et voila! Broccoli rabe is great with oricchiete pasta, with a bit of Italian sausage.

Couldn't Be Parve

Make a Thai style vegetable curry by simmering them in a mixture of curry paste and coconut milk, a pinch of brown sugar, a splash of fish or soy sauce and a squirt of lime at the end.

Nora

Is it less than helpful to say, send them to me?

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I have a yummy recipe for a smoky, sweet Babaghanouj you could use the eggplant for: http://verdantkitchen.wordpress...

If I had an excess of garlic I would roast the heads whole (with a centimeter sliced off the top), roast them, and then squeeze their insides into a batch of mashed potatoes!

Broccoli rabe and artichokes, after sauteeing with some dried herbs and lemon, would make a killer quiche.