🔕 🔔

buttermilk powder

To reconstitute or not to reconstitute, that is the question...

I'm making some quickbread loaves which call for buttermilk. I don't have enough room in my ancient apartment fridge freezer to store portions of buttermilk, and the litre containers go "off" before I use them up. So I'm trying buttermilk powder.

I'm wondering whether it's better to reconstitute the powder in water before using, or can I simply stir the powder into the dry ingredients and add the water when I make up the batter.

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

asked by Ted 5 months ago

I have used dry buttermilk powder for years. I find that it works best if you add the powder to the dry ingredients and add the water as you complete your batter.

Ted

Thank you. In the past I've reconstituted it and found it fiddly business.