Christmas Cookie Exchange

37392274 135b 4090 889e 64ba9e174e2d  img 6947

Looking for new ideas for Christmas cookies. Would really like to try new ones this year. Traditional, classic, whimsical, I'm up for any suggestions.🎄 BB

asked 9 months ago

Nikkitha Bakshani
Nikkitha Bakshani

Nikkitha is an Associate Editor at Food52.

I think rugelach is fit for any occasion, especially when they're as good as this recipe!

https://food52.com/recipes...

These are delicious! I can’t believe I have never made them until now!

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I haven't made these yet but I think the entire family is going to love these!!
https://www.williams-sonoma...

Those look great! Thanks😋

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I give out struffoli every year, not really a cookie but nobody complains. You must know how to make that since you're Italian!

Honestly, never had it. Sicilian not Italian maybe that's why? Traditional cookies at Christmas were Cuccidati a Sicilian fig stuffed cookie. Our aunt would make these and other cookies and they were always in a waxed papered lined shoe box! How we looked forward to those once a year treats. Merry Christmas 🎄!

This one is always a favorite at my house: https://food52.com/recipes...

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

This one is a family favorite...my mom made them, I make them and now my daughters make them for the Grans: https://food52.com/recipes...

MMH
MMH

One of my favorites is chocolate peanut butter oatmeal no bake cookies. Everyone loves them and it's easy to crank them out when you are using the oven for something else.

Stephanie B.

Two of my favorites are traditional Christmas cookies, so they're probably not very exciting for you BB, but I love Linzer cookies and what are sometimes called Viennese crescents (lots of ground walnuts in the dough, and I add a dash of cardamom to mine).

My other favorite isn't one I've come across as a usual Christmas cookie, but it's so chocolatey and minty, I think it's a great wintery cookie: https://www.epicurious... (I used honey I think instead of the dark corn syrup)

Oh and there's one from Ottolenghi's new baking book, Sweet, that I really want to try, the Gelvude Speculaas (last recipe in this article). There's no pic in the link, but they look pretty and I love the sound of spiced cookie around an almond filling. https://www.theguardian...

Let us know what you decide to make!

Have sny of you made a Danish Christmas cookie called Pebber Nodder? A shortbread cookie with cinnamon, cardamom and pepper cut into nugget sizes.

MMH
MMH

My Mom made those. It was a very old recipe. She called them mice but it was what you are describing.

You might find interesting and helpful a book written many years ago by one-time NYTimes food writer, Mimi Sheraton. Called "Visions of Sugarplums," it's out of print, I believe, but can be obtained online via Alibris, A Better World, etc. The book contains well-researched and well-tested recipes for all kinds of holiday cookies, bars, candies, cakes, puddings, etc. from all over the world. It's inspired many treats I've baked over the years. See https://tinyurl.com/GiftBaking2017...... for links to two recipes from that book that I'm baking this year.
If I could have only one holiday baking resource, it would be that. ;o)

Thanks, Antonia! Speaking of Sugar Plums, I made them last year. Huge hit! Dried fruit, honey and rolled on sugar...will probably do those again.

Miss Karen

Make these....
ROOTBEER FLOAT COOKIES
Makes 3 dozen
1 CUP BUTTER, at room temp
1 CUP SUGAR
1 CUP BROWN SUGAR
1 LARGE EGG
2 TBSP.MILK
1 TBSP + 2 tsp. ROOTBEER CONCENTRATE (NOT extract)
1 tsp. VANILLA EXTRACT
3 CUPS FLOUR
1 tsp. CREAM of TARTAR
1 tsp. BAKING SODA
1 ½ CUPS WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS

Preheat oven to 350°F
Cream the butter and the sugars. Add the egg and beat until fluffy. Add the milk, vanilla extract and root beer concentrate. Stir in the dry ingredients and chips. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons, 2 inches apart, on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until just set. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes.

I think this is the recipe of the year for 2015…
* The only thing missing is the straw!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

My grandmother was Sicilian but she made them. My it was a east coast thing.

Miss Karen

I have to make double batches of these EVERY time!

Thank you for all the great recipe ideas! Going to make to baking many of them in the next few days.

I found a new one, Christmas Ribbon Bars, that I made this week. It's a shortbread base and I used a gourmet jam, Holiday Jam (pears, apple, cranberry). Rave reviews! I'll post it if anyone would like to try it. The original recipe calls for raspberry jam but didn't have it. Really, any jam would work, pick your favorite. 🎄BB

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Looks great! please post , I have a cookie swap Sunday

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, Phil! It's now posted under my recipes.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. I made a few of you delicious cookies, but in my excitement didn't take a photo. I did snap a photo of the boxes I gave neighbors. Everyone loved them! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday and happy new year!