🔕 🔔

What's your favorite recipe of the year?

I know, this is an impossible question. But if you HAD to choose one recipe (whether an old one you discovered that's new to you, one that you found yourself making over and over again, or a new one created this year), what's the one that says 2016 to you? (and why?)

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

asked 9 months ago

This: https://food52.com/recipes...

And this: https://food52.com/recipes...

For the first time, I joined a beef and pork CSA called Butcher Box. I love it. Meats from all pasture raised, grass fed animals. I've never bought brisket before because I'm not fond of it. Wrong..I now love it. I also haven't cooked beef or pork cheeks, but love them. Aargersie's Barbacoa is incredible. I actually used pork cheeks. I've been dreaming of both of these recipes since I made them.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Recipe of the year for me is the Hawaiian Pizza from The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish -- it's the only pizza I put on the permanent summer pizza gathering menu. Why is it better than every other Hawaiian pizza? It calls for roasting the pineapple (and onion) before topping the pizza which makes it infinitely better. It also calls for an optional step of spreading bacon fat on the dough before saucing it which I say should not be optional :-)

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

OMG that sounds fabulous!

I think we are kindred spirits when it comes to pizza. Something tells me you'll be adding this pizza to your repertoire very very soon ;-)

Molly Yeh's rye challah.
Called that on her own site or (tongue in cheek) challah gone a rye on the food blog of Jewish Daily Forward, where it also appeared.
It's a 2014 recipe, but I only discovered it in January 2016, and then proceeded to make it all winter.
Bread is not the center of my cooking universe, but, yes, I'd be unhappy if it was withdrawn.
This was my favorite recipe (discovery) this year because it has a perfect balance that I didn't even know was missing in other rye bread recipes. What I otherwise call the Goldilocks effect (it was just right). It had enough rye, but not too much. Was moist, but still held together. Was perfect with soups, as a sandwich base, as toast. Probably with other things, but I'll have to go back and try more this winter.
Go make some - you'll never turn back.
http://mynameisyeh.com...

C4950803 7ae7 4d2a 9c91 ff8b856fe028  dscf0339

I learned to make my own ricotta this year and love to use it in this recipe: https://food52.com/recipes.... I had extra filling which I happily ate for breakfast.

05d07179 8ac1 49f8 83d7 a479a1a82a59  img print 5835 1

I made David Link's braised chicken with salami and olives (found on NY Times cooking site) and it was, hands down, one of the best things to ever come out of my kitchen.

UGH, Donald Link!

This nutella and halvah babka: https://food52.com/recipes...
We couldn't stop eating, devoured two loaves in like a day and a half. Thanks Yossy!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

For me, this year was more about re-learning technique than about new recipes, as I went from charcoal to gas on the grill and gas to regular electric to induction indoors. But one recipe I've enjoyed several times on the new gas grill is contest finalist Mojo chicken by cooksandkid https://food52.com/recipes...

Whoops, not contest finalist, but contest winner!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Lions Head meatballs from the first Lucky Peach cookbook. I make them at least once a month and always make enough to freeze a batch. (I use ground turkey in place of pork.)

Also from a new cookbook: A Modern Way to Cook. The lentils with roast tomatoes and horseradish sauce is wonderful. Cooking the lentils in vegetable broth with garlic and tomato and herbs is genius.

And the River Cottage bouillon recipe on Food52 https://food52.com/recipes...
has transformed my cooking. I read the comments, cut back the salt and left out the cilantro (my husband hates it). I use it as the salt element in nearly all savory dishes. It adds flavor and depth.

This Pasta con Ceci from Dinner a Love Story has been such a great addition to my rotation - really easy, pantry ingredients, and we look forward to eating it: http://www.dinneralovestory...

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I asked the kids about recipes of the year. My son: short ribs in red wine and barley salad with onion confit and persimmons from "A New Way to Dinner". My daughter, Melissa Clark's Broccoli Salad with Sesame and Pepper Flakes, from the New York Times Cooking web site and Mindy Segal's Raspberry Rose Rugelach from the baking book "Cookie Love". For me, the revelatory home made falafel from "Honey and Co", as well as several of their baked chicken recipes with amazing Middle Eastern flavors.

luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

And why. The short ribs are a great cold weather meal and easy to make on a Sunday afternoon. The barley salad can also be made on a weekend afternoon and introduced us to a whole new grain (hulless barley, more delicious and better texture than pearl) as well as an onion confit dressing that can be used in many ways and a way to use persimmons besides eating them straight. The raspberry rose rugelach uses a home made raspberry jam made with raspberry lambic and is not too sweet. The broccoli salad is made of raw broccoli but is pickled deliciously and quickly with salt and vinegar. Lasts in the frig and is a winner in the quest for more vegetables. The falafel are so different made at home than any I have ever eaten out, and the chicken is flavorful through and through and has a delicious melting texture.

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I've loved that raw broccoli salad for years now. It's amazing. I think I even once emailed Kristen about it being a genius recipe because it's so good, so easy, gets better with time so you can make it ahead and (bonus) you don't have to cook the broccoli. Good choice!

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

If I had to choose one, I would say it's the Prawns with Tomato, Olives and Arak from Jerusalem. It's been out in the world for a while now, but I made it several times this year and am always impressed with it. It's quick enough for a weeknight, but fancy enough for a dinner party. Plus, all the delicious broth. I buy extra bread just for the broth. Out of season, I've found canned tomatoes work just as well as fresh. And with canned tomatoes you get extra juice which means...extra broth!

If I could choose a second, it would be the Momofuku's Bo Ssam recipe (also great for a low-stress dinner party). The ginger-scallion sauce alone has been worth its weight in gold and regularly makes it into my rotation. http://cooking.nytimes...

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

And by Jerusalem, clearly I meant Ottolenghi. But really, there's not a bad recipe in either book....

Hi Rachael - I checked out the recipe for the Momofuko pork. I am given a pork shoulder every Christmas so I am interested. As I cook for one most of the time I do have 2 questions: 1) From looking at comments on the Times web site it looks like this would work for a cook and then drive 45 minute situation. Roast can travel in a small cooler to keep it warm. I would have access to an oven at the destination to finish it off. 2) I would still probably want to freeze leftovers.

Do you have any thoughts or comments on these 2 points?

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Hi Caninechef! That should be more than doable. I've actually finished up the roast several hours before the final blast of heat and noticed it tasted just as good as any other time I've made it. So I think if you travel 45 minutes than finish it up in the oven at your destination it would work just fine. Just check your strange oven for cleanliness as the 500-degree heat can cause some serious smoking if it's not clean. :) As for freezing, we never had that many leftovers, but I can't see why it wouldn't work out just fine. Good luck!

ktr

I made this recipe (both with chicken thighs and a spatchcocked whole chicken) over and over again this year. https://food52.com/recipes...
And I finally got around to making stock out of the bones. After getting into the habit of making it, I can't believe I waited so long to learn how.
My other favorite of the year was this pressure cooker pork recipe. My family loved it and it was simple enough to make on a weeknight. The cabbage is so good my husband, who will eat cabbage but doesn't really care for it, loved it. http://nomnompaleo.com...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

The application of the "no kneed bread" into a pan pizza. Using a scortching hot oven and cast iron pans.
http://slice.seriouseats...

Yes, the Serious Eats bread recipes are all fantastic! I discovered them this year, too, and that no-knead pizza dough is definitely one of the best recipes in any category that I've come across in quite a long time. I'm now using that recipe -- adding a touch of semolina flour for flavor and when rolling out -- once every two or three weeks. Good call! ;o)

A4425269 c08f 4384 9c2f 719a5e03afca  image

Two that stick out to me:
1. This savory apple tart flambee (https://food52.com/recipes...). The flavors together were absolutely incredible and I used the cast iron method which had the crispiest edges. It was also my first time using the "Lahey no-knead dough".
2. Yotam Ottolenghi's sweet corn polenta with eggplant sauce. (https://food52.com/recipes...) I had doubts while making this that it wouldn't turn out great but my goodness it was amazing. I think it was the perfect late-summer meal. I froze some of the eggplant sauce and had it recently over regular creamy polenta and I was reminded of just how wonderful this dish was.

Among the most notable recipes first found via Food52:
https://food52.com/recipes... (see comments to the recipe and the many NotRecipes I've posted that incorporate it, for more information). This year was marked for me by a quest to build up, systematically, a varied array of "cheat codes" to make my evening dinner processes even more efficient.

This is one of a growing number of versatile component ingredients that I periodically cook up in big batches to freeze in 1 and 2 cup containers. (Hint: this system works best if you keep a constantly updated freezer inventory and plan meals at least 10 but preferably 30 days out. I now keep both the inventory and the menu plan in a single doc in my Google Drive.)
Basic and already-known-by-millions-of-everyday-cooks as Basu's tomato curry sauce is, it garners top marks in my kitchen in 2016. I continue my search for workhorses like this. ;o)

My absolute favorite in 2016 however is a recipe searched for in a delayed follow up to a decades-old food memory. The recipe is on a site I'm quite certain that 99.99% of Food52 members have never visited for the purpose of finding a recipe, and I suspect that almost as large a percentage have not gone to it for any other reason. ;o)

luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

What is the recipe???

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

My Spaghetti Carbonara! Every time I make it my husband tells me it's better than any he's ever had at any restaurant anywhere! And that makes me happy.