Making dark chocolate fudge

Using hershey dark chocolate to make fudge. But it keeps turning out dry and crumbly.

• Posted by: Bob
  • December 14, 2017

1 Comment

BerryBaby December 15, 2017

What are the ingredients?

Bob
Bob December 15, 2017

Using a standard milk chocolate fudge recipe. 1/2 cup chocolate, 2 cups milk, 1 cup milk, 1 tbsp corn syrup, 2 pats butter, and 1 tsp vanilla. It's a proven recipe with milk chocolate, but with dark chocolate, it turns out hard and crumbly. Any tips?

Emmie
Emmie December 15, 2017

Milk and dark chocolates have different proportions of sugar and fat, and fudge is dependent on having the correct proportions of each. I would find a recipe specifically formulated for dark chocolate.

702551
702551 December 15, 2017

Emmie is correct.

Dark chocolate has a higher percentage of cacao and lower percentage of cocoa butter. Most dark chocolate is less sweet than milk chocolate, so less sugar. Of course, there won't be any milk in the dark chocolate.

Emmie's suggestion of locating a dark chocolate-specific fudge recipe would be the easiest course of action. If you look for the dark chocolate product on the Hersheys website, you might find a suitable well-tested recipe.