Gluten-free roux... any flour recs?

I’m planning on making a big batch of chicken and sausage gumbo and freezing it so I can have an easy dinner for one night when my family is visiting over the holidays. The thing is, my mom is currently not eating gluten (she’s on a special diet to help with arthritis inflammation). I’ve heard you can just swap for pretty much any gf flour and follow the recipe as written, but I’m wondering if anyone else has done this and if they have specific recommendations for how it works out flavor- and color-wise? Thank you!!

asked by Cory Baldwin 7 months ago

emB
emB

potato flour (not starch) will work the best . rice flour too gritty cornstarch will break too easily