🔕 🔔

How to cook brussels sprouts, garlic and shallots?

I'm loving my sprouts and have been cooking them in my steamer, which is good, but now I want to do something more interesting. Someone suggested garlic and shallots so I bought those. How do I cook this all together? Sautee everything in a skillet? (Or everything in the steamer?!) Or steam the sprouts first in the steamer most of the way, and then toss them in the skillet for the last few minutes with onions and shallots to "finish"? I just don't know the right approach. Any suggested spices with this combo? Thank you for helping a beginner ;-)

asked by pnoeric over 5 years ago

Another skillet method is to trim and halve the shallots. Then thinly slice them across the grain so that you have nothing but green strands. Sautee them in butter along with minced garlic and shallots. Spritz with a little tarragon vinegar. No par cooking required.

Or look for the very tiniest sprouts you can find, about the size of the fingernail on your pinky finger. Use the same method but they can be left whole.

Actually that should have read "trim and halve the sprouts". Sometimes my lap top is too smart for me.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

You say you have perfectly fresh brussels sprouts? I wish I did. (Mine are seedlings right now.) Why do anything to them except toss them in a pot of salted boiling water until they are just tender, the Julia Child way? Then a bit of butter or some leftover bacon crumbles or a spot of leftover hollandaise and there you are.