A question about a recipe: Shrimp Gumbo

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Shrimp Gumbo" from drbabs. It says:

"Stir in the onions, celery, and garlic. Sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a few turns of freshly-ground pepper. Stir well. Cover dutch oven and let vegetables cook in roux until softened."

Cook the garlic for all that time? How does that not over-brown (let alone burn) the garlic? Especially since it's been put through a press. I wouldn't put the garlic in until later.

5183a83f 3d26 477f a989 987b99f01803  030111f 432
Recipe question for: Shrimp Gumbo

drbabs March 2, 2011

Hi Davilchick--I think that the garlic doesn't burn because it's on really low heat and the vegetables all give off a lot of liquid. But you could certainly add the garlic later. And you might want more garlic. I have personal issues with garlic (I love it; it hates me.) so I use it sparingly.

SKK March 2, 2011

As drbabs says, garlic won't burn because the vegetables give off a lot of liquid. I often saute spinach, adding the spinach after the garlic has softened in the olive oil. The garlic seasons the spinach, as well as the olive oil. Used to live in New Orleans, and I miss it. Enjoy your gumbo!

Food52
Food52 March 2, 2011

We concur with drbabs -- since the pot is covered and it's cooked over medium-low heat, the vegetables "sweat" and soften rather than caramelize and risk over-browning.

pierino March 3, 2011

As a gumbophiliac I'm on the same page wit y'all. Garlic won't burn in that context.

Helen's All Night Diner

You may want to try leaving the garlic whole. Then once the dish has cooked, mash it against the side of the pot with a spoon.