🔕 🔔

Can I make a Beef Wellington without prosciutto?

Last time I made beef Wellington it was a bit too salty with the prosciutto. I would like to make it without but every popular recipe calls for it, and I don't want to have soggy dough. Can I use something else?

asked by Charles 25 days ago

98fa1f3b ffb9 4f10 9988 f0e67c9c4a5e  js
Joanna Sciarrino

Joanna is the Managing Editor at Food52

You could definitely omit the prosciutto if you found it too salty last time. Just be sure your pastry is rolled thin enough so that it will crisp up for you. Another other option, if you're worried about soggy dough, is to use the prosciutto, but omit salt from the other stages of the process (the duxelles, when you season or sear off the beef). That way you can keep all the main components, but the seasoning will be better balanced.

Hope this helps!

60dde45d 3ccc 404f bad5 c7ae5ad3d3db  wi3

Joanna - I was going to suggest slices of American ham - less salty but still might provide the insulation the crust needs to crisp.

0a62c55f 38bb 4f00 aefc 1de6685070d9  stringio

I have never heard of proscuitto in a wellington before. The classic is mushrooms,(duxelles) chicken liver pate and crepes.

Food Network just demo'd the recipe and proscuitto was what was wrapped around the mushroom duxelles.