No lemon hummus

I've been craving some hummus, but the storebought makes my face itchy, and I think it's the lemon in it (lemon makes my face itchy) does anyone have any substitutes for lemon in hummus recipes?

HalfPint January 2, 2018

This recipe does not contain lemon or tahini, https://www.kingarthurflour...

I haven't made this, but I trust the King Arthur Flour recipes. Or you can make any hummus and leave out the lemon.

Nancy January 2, 2018

Ideas:
* use orange juice (maintains acidity, if you can tolerate other citrus)
* use a vinegar you like (maintains acidity, no citrus-related problem)
* experiment with broth or water as a replacement (will maintain liquid, but not acidity)
* use a powdered seasoning to give the sour taste (amchur or sumac) and replace the lemon juice with water

Lost_in_NYC
Lost_in_NYC January 3, 2018

Agreed with Nancy on Sumac as a substitute but you may need a bit of it to bring out the tang that hummus needs! Amchur is an acquired taste (with Indian cuisine) so I would tread lightly with this.

Not sure if Limes are an option for you but if the citrus juice is too acidic would lemon/lime zest work instead?