Lemon juice replacement for hummus?

I want to make hummus but realize I only have half of a lemon when I should have 2....can I just substitute some sort of vinegar? suggestions?

asked by Natalie almost 4 years ago

I think vinegar would make it too... Vinegary. How about if you zested the half lemon, cut off the pith, and pulverized it and the zest in the food processor with the chick peas, etc.?. You'd get more intense lemon flavor without the vinegar. (Just my opinion)

TobiT

I agree with this comment - and if you need a bit more liquid to replace the lost juice, dribble in some chicken broth until it gets to the texture you want.

I agree with Barbara. Vinegar as sub for lemon juice in hummus (I've tried it) doesn't cut it. Overall taste wasn't too vinegary. Rather, it lacked the brightness of lemon juice. So, yes, try her pulverizing trick (it gives good results making lemonade). Or, use another lime or orange if you have that around. Or don't make full recipe - adjust to make 1/4x (ratio of your half lemon to recipe's 2).

Natalie

Thanks guys, I just made it -- cut down the amount and added lemon zest. Turned out great!

If you cut down the amount of the recipe. You have chick peas to use for salads.

SeaJambon

In the "what it is worth" department, I frequently make hummus with balsamic vinegar instead of lemon. It is quite wonderful and not the least bit "vinegary".

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Also, you can garnish with sumac to boost the citrus flavor a little.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

...should it happen again in the future, that is. :)

Gin
Gin

Yes you can! Matter of fact, I was just looking for an answer to this earlier, before making hummus, and I thought "oh what the hell, I'll try it and see how it goes." And I'm glad it turned out great. I used balsamic vinegar as a substitute. If anything, I think it went slightly better this time.