why does a cooked pumpkin pie crack open

We cooked a pumpkin pie that came out of the oven looking wonderful and with a smooth top. After dinner we put the remains covered in the refrigerator. The next day it was cracked open. Why?

asked by Sammye Wood 11 months ago

Usually, it cracks because it's overbaked. King Arthur Flour website has a nice explanation and tips to avoid the dreaded crack:
https://blog.kingarthurflour...

Excellent piece (as usual, from KAF). Thanks for the link, HP. And Happy New Year! ;o)

Miss Karen

When you bake the pie it has to be done in stages. First bake it at a higher temperature (425 F) for about 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature (350F ) for the rest of the time.35-40 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean. Reference: EAGLE condensed milk pumpkin pie recipe.

That's interesting, Miss Karen. I never knew that. Thanks so much. ;o)