I have a bag full of half-green Meyer lemons. They will not ripen to their normal state, and I have no idea what to use them for

(they are very tart at this point)

asked by llew 11 months ago

Make preserved lemons (If you don't know them, a kind of middle eastern pickle).
Easy, only needs lemons, juice, salt, a few weeks maturing time.
Joan Nathan has a few recipes, all good.

llew

Nancy, I didn't know if the unripe lemons would be good for this (I have already put up tow jars of preserved from the few that were ripe). I'll get a few more jars and give it a try (if it works well, I may save my friend with the tree the sorrow of throwing them out!)

In my experience, the unripe ones are ok...I think they work because this is not a conserve but a salty pickle, so the sugar matters less or not at all.
If you decide to go ahead with these unripe ones, be sure and mark the jars so you can compare from ripe & unripe when mature, and see if you like both or just one type.
And let us know results of your side by side comparison.

llew

Will do - and thank you!

mstv

Depending on how tart they are - I have found them to be a good substitute for regular lemons (since they are more sour compared with Meyer lemons). The zest might be interesting and tasty. I would consider tasting the juice and seeing how you feel about the flavor. Things like ceviche and lemon curd (not together) come to mind.

llew

I had not even thought of ceviche - they would be perfect for that use! The remainder have already found their way into a large jar for preserving, but if any more come my way I will definitely be visiting my local fish monger. Thank you!

llew

one last question - is it normal to hear a slight 'whoosh' when I open the jars of preserved lemons (it has only been a few days and I'm not sure if this is part of the fermentation or if I should be concerned) There is plenty of juice covering them, so there should be no exposure issue. (the only contents are salt, lemons, and fresh juice). Thanks!

Made them many times; got no whoosh.
Maybe you inadvertently created and broke a vacuum.
Leave closed until they mature.
But if you open, keep the lemons covered in juice, with may be a film of olive oil on top.