How to check oven temperature using oven thermometer?

I put oven thermometer into the oven and started preheating it at 200°C for 20 min.
My oven reached 200°C within 5-7 mins. After 12-15 min it reached 190°C. And it was still 190°C.
What does this mean?

creamtea January 11, 2018

There are several possibilities:
"cool" spots in the oven
Oven may need to be calibrated
Some ovens take a little longer to heat up and maintain temps
Heating element kicks in when temperature drops to a certain level

Has the element kicked in now that it's about half an hour?

Voted the Best Reply!

702551
702551 January 11, 2018

Leave it on for an hour and periodically check the oven thermometer. If it reads 190°C then it appears your oven runs a little cool.

Change the temperature to 250°C, let come to full temperature, then monitor. Change the temperature to 150°C and again monitor. If the oven thermometer is consistently a few degrees lower, then you can be pretty sure that your oven is running a bit cool.

That means if a recipe calls for a 200°C oven, you may have to set your oven thermostat at 210°C so your oven actually reaches 200°C.

I know that my oven runs 5°F within the thermostat setting so I don't bother changing the thermostat setting. It's close enough for the type of cooking I do (I don't bake anymore).

Best of luck.