Non-fish fish sauce

Looking for suggestions for a Thai-style fish sauce without fish. Can anyone help? Thanks

asked by GsR 11 months ago

The nearest thing I can think of would be Maggi. But it's a poor substitute. Can you tolerate any anchovy at all? That is the key component of everything from fish sauce, to colatura to worsterchire. It's the sine qua non that adds that ultimate, mysterious "bottom" flavor even if you don't know it's there.

GsR
GsR

Thanks, but fish is definetly out of the picture.

There are many brands of vegan fish sauces you could use. You could also make your own to substitute. There are many recipes online but I recall they use seaweed & mushrooms.

MMH
MMH

I'm not sure how to answer this but it might help to know whether this is about an allergy or a preference.

GsR
GsR

Actually, it’s neither. But, important nevertheless. The laws of kosher do not allow fish and meat to be either cooked or eaten together. So, rather than the physical, it is a matter of the spiritual.

So do you want an umami or a salty flavor (or both) to use instead of fish sauce with meat meals?

GsR
GsR

Nacy

I would use salt and maybe some mushroom seasoning like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/i...

or umami dust, https://www.olivenation.com/umami-dust-seasoning.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIubbVm_TS2AIVA7XACh3lMA-1EAQYAiABEgL52fD_BwE

GsR
GsR

Nancy, I wanted the fish sauce to try and make Thai meat dishes. The recipes I’ve seen almost universally call for fish sauce as seasoning. That’s what I’m trying to duplicate.

GsR - as Chops suggested, there are recipes out there for vegetarian sauce resembling fish sauce. They use vinegar, soy, fermented beans and/or paste (miso) to get flavor with similar notes. Throw in some usual Thai seasonings and garnishes (hot pepper, sprouts, mint, cilantro) and you will have some nice dishes.

GsR
GsR

Thanks