Why do pan seasoners give me different results with my grilled cheese?

967c2172 4687 4b52 ac31 609530093949  30941a76 6ffa 416d a9df 67452b54a749

I have tried 6 different pan seasoners (butter, ghee, Pam spray, bacon grease, olive oil, and coconut oil) for making a grilled cheese for my science project, and they all gave a wide range of results. I️ tested them at all the same temperatures, so i know for sure it is the pan seasoners that is giving me different results. Can anyone explain why this ipthey turned out so different?

asked by 99abk 5 months ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Wow! The various smoke points must play a big part... but very curious to hear others' thoughts!

You are basically frying the 'grilled' cheese sandwich. I would look into the science of frying and as @Emma Laperruque suggests the physical properties of all the fats that you used in your project. I think specifically look into why saturated fats (butter, lard, etc) fry food better than oils.