A question about a recipe: Individual Sweet Potato Gratins with Creme Fraiche, Onions, and Bacon

I have a question about the recipe "Individual Sweet Potato Gratins with Creme Fraiche, Onions, and Bacon" from Erin McDowell. This is delicious and I want to make it a large batch for Thanksgiving. It took forever to cook with one large sweet potato and other people said they had trouble with long cook times when they made larger batches. Does anyone have any recommendations about how long to expect this to cook based on number of sweet potatoes used? Also, do I want to pile the sweet potato pieces deeper or use a wide, shallow dish to keep to 4-6 layers when I cook it?

• Posted by: Jean
  • January 21, 2018

Emmie
Emmie January 23, 2018

It will definitely take longer; a New York Times recipe estimates 70 minutes for a 9x13 pan (though that's at 400 degrees). I'd stick to the 4-6 layers, as it would take even longer with more layers.

Emmie
Emmie January 23, 2018

Also I'd try it once before Thanksgiving to get the timing right!

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell January 24, 2018

Hi Jean! I'd suggest using a wide, shallow dish and keeping to a lower amount of layers as you suggested. I'd plan on allowing at least 50 minutes and perhaps up to 1 hour 15 minutes for your larger version!

AntoniaJames January 24, 2018

Microwave the sweet potatoes whole for ten minutes before slicing. Also, I'd probably not scale up the milk proportionately. Remember, too, that the onions will throw off a lot of liquid. You can address that by microwaving the diced onions for about 5 - 10 minutes, depending on how many you're using -- and then pressing out and discarding the liquid that's released. I suspect that the increased liquid from the onions are contributing to the problem. ;o)