🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Individual Sweet Potato Gratins with Creme Fraiche, Onions, and Bacon

F162c127 5535 42d4 9ac1 7369872cb61c  2016 1025 sweet potato gratins creme fraiche onion bacon mark weinberg 306

I have a question about the recipe "Individual Sweet Potato Gratins with Creme Fraiche, Onions, and Bacon" from Erin McDowell. This is delicious and I want to make it a large batch for Thanksgiving. It took forever to cook with one large sweet potato and other people said they had trouble with long cook times when they made larger batches. Does anyone have any recommendations about how long to expect this to cook based on number of sweet potatoes used? Also, do I want to pile the sweet potato pieces deeper or use a wide, shallow dish to keep to 4-6 layers when I cook it?

asked by Jean about 1 month ago

added about 1 month ago

It will definitely take longer; a New York Times recipe estimates 70 minutes for a 9x13 pan (though that's at 400 degrees). I'd stick to the 4-6 layers, as it would take even longer with more layers.

added about 1 month ago

Also I'd try it once before Thanksgiving to get the timing right!

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

added about 1 month ago

Hi Jean! I'd suggest using a wide, shallow dish and keeping to a lower amount of layers as you suggested. I'd plan on allowing at least 50 minutes and perhaps up to 1 hour 15 minutes for your larger version!

added about 1 month ago

Microwave the sweet potatoes whole for ten minutes before slicing. Also, I'd probably not scale up the milk proportionately. Remember, too, that the onions will throw off a lot of liquid. You can address that by microwaving the diced onions for about 5 - 10 minutes, depending on how many you're using -- and then pressing out and discarding the liquid that's released. I suspect that the increased liquid from the onions are contributing to the problem. ;o)