A question about a recipe: Yoghurt & Spinach Dip, 'Borani Esfanaaj', in the Persian Manner

8fa810c4 a73d 43f4 aaf2 a2b56e1fe680  2016 1116 yoghurt spinach dip borani esfanaaj in the persian manner james ransom 332

I have a question about the recipe "Yoghurt & Spinach Dip, 'Borani Esfanaaj', in the Persian Manner" from shayma. The only dried mint I can find is spearmint. Is this what I want? It doesn't seem right.

asked by Jean 5 months ago

BakerRB

I think spearmint is right. Fresh spearmint is generic ‘mint’ in recipes if peppermint isn’t specified (usually for a dessert).

Nilufar Kayhani

Hello! Typically Persian foods that call for dry mint refer to dried spearmint. Personally, my family and I dry our own peppermint for our food. So in my opinion there is no significant difference. You could always dry your own mint by laying the leaves on a cloth to dry for a couple of days then grinding them in a mortar and pestle or with your hands.