39b4a39d 5c9a 4219 94ba cc2476c26ba1  image

My pastry cream failed. It turned out to be very doughy, almost like the consistency of pate a choux dough. I double checked the measurements and I am certain they were correct. The recipe I used was: http://eugeniekitchen.com/pastry-cream/. What did I do wrong here?

asked by Ivy Stream 10 months ago

It looks overcooked to me. I always whisk the dry ingredients together first to avoid clumping. I have used several different recipes over the years. I like Dorie Greenspan's recipe, and also Joanne Chang in Flour--Joanne tells you explicitly the timings and what to look for at each stage: scald milk--don't boil it, and add it to the egg mixture a little at a time. When you return the mixture to medium heat in a heavy pan, stir vigorously till it boils, (check to see if it is bubbling by halting the stirring for a second or two) then cook, whisking constantly, only 10 seconds more! then remove from heat. I always strain it at this point through a fine mesh sieve into a heat proof bowl, THEN add the vanilla AFTER it is cooked and strained.

It is thick but often I have found pastry cream to be that way. When mine becomes too thick I just whip some cream into it until it's the consistency I need adding small amounts at a time so it doesn't get too thin. It's easy to adjust. I don't think you did anything wrong, looking at the photos that also looked quite stiff