Lemon Poppyseed Scones

I'm planning on making this recipe tomorrow but have no sour cream or yogurt. Do you think if I replace the sour cream with milk (1:1 ratio) it would be ok?
http://barefootandbaking.blogspot.com/2012/05/lemon-poppy-seed-scones.html

• Posted by: Mimi
  • March 18, 2018

Nancy March 18, 2018

Normally I would be concerned that replacing sour cream or yogurt (with a range between 3 and 18% fat) with milk would reduce the proportion of fat in the recipe and produce a drier scone.
However, since the author said she prefers light sour cream (about 3%), the recipe will probably come out OK if you use whole milk (about the same).
If you use skimmed milk, maybe add another tablespoon of butter as you mix the batter.

Mimi
Mimi March 18, 2018

Melted butter? Thank you for helping me out!

Nancy March 18, 2018

The recipe already called for some butter - I forget what temp - so just add 1 more tbsp at that same temp to what's called for.

Mimi
Mimi March 18, 2018

If I used cream should i do half cream and half reduced fat milk?

Liz D
Liz D March 19, 2018

I'd also add about a teaspoon of lemon juice to the measuring cup before pouring in the milk, to replace the acid that's in sour cream & yogurt