Can you make cured salmon with a skinless filet?

In recipes I'm reviewing, it seems the skin is always discarded after the curing is complete. So could you use a skinless filet, or does the skin play a role in the process? Thank you!

asked by LukasVolger 4 months ago

Community Editor at Food52

Hi Lukas, I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to this yet! I found one recipe that calls for skinning the salmon before curing it: https://food52.com/recipes...

@Lindsay, thank you for posting this recipe. I've always wondered whether salmon could be cured without the skin. Costco carries some gorgeous skinless salmon fillets but I've always hesitated about curing it.

Community Editor at Food52

@HalfPint, now I'm really curious why almost all recipes call for it staying on!

The only thing I can think of is maybe having the skin as a 'base' to slice against makes slicing thinly and evenly easier.