🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Zahav's Hummus Tehina

2bfe2611 fa25 468d b6ed 98660626b832  2016 0223 zahavs israeli style hummus bobbi lin 18061

I have a question about the recipe "Zahav's Hummus Tehina" from Genius Recipes. Could you use iced chicken/vegetable stock instead? What would an equal amount of miso paste instead of salt do?

asked by Hmmm 16 days ago

You could do both....always your choice. Here are probable results:
1) If the stock is meant to replace the lemon juice, you will likely have same texture & consistency. But flavor will be less bright. Hummus needs the acid of lemon juice to balance the richness and fat of the beans and oil. In a pinch, I've used vinegar to replace the lemon juice...it works, part way. The acid-oil balance is ok, but the flavor is not as bright.
2) Miso paste has about half of 1 percent of the sodium in table salt. So using it tbsp for tbsp is almost like not using salt. Flavor will be different from original recipe.