A question about a recipe: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Chocolate Dump-It Cake" from amanda. It says:

"Meanwhile, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the milk and vinegar. Grease and flour a 9-inch tube pan. (If you prefer, you can grease it, line it with parchment and then grease and flour it. This is not necessary, but parchment does make getting the cake out easier.)"

I don't have a 9 inch tube pan is there another type of pan I can substitute?

• Posted by: clbeth
  • March 5, 2011
33901f8b dab8 4ac5 8d01 7bf897aa6a96  2015 0122 chocolate dump it cake james ransom 008
Recipe question for: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

hardlikearmour March 6, 2011

A bundt pan or 2 loaf pans would probably work.

Amanda Hesser March 6, 2011

Agree with hardlikearmour -- my sister uses regular 9-inch cake pans when she makes it. If you have springforms, that's easiest. The batter also makes good cupcakes....

clbeth
clbeth March 6, 2011

Thanks so much for the fast responses! If I use the springforms am I making a two layer cake as the tube pan seems much taller than my cake pans.

Amanda Hesser March 6, 2011

Great catch and yes you want to do a 2-layer cake. Best way is to use 2 springform (or regular cake) pans. If your springform is 3 inches deep, that should be plenty deep if you want to make the cake in just one pan, but it will work better if you use two.

Rhonda35
Rhonda35 March 6, 2011

Amanda's sister here. I always make this cake in two layers using regular 9" cake pans. As noted, I grease them, line them with parchment, then grease and "flour" (except I don't use flour, I use cocoa powder) the pans. If I remember correctly, the baking time is around 35-40 minutes. I also always use the sour cream-chocolate icing in the recipe, but I sometimes add additional flavors to the layer between the two rounds. I've used Nutella, melted raspberry jam, whipped peanut butter and caramel, then I also layer in some of the frosting. This is my most favorite cake in the whole world.