🔕 🔔

Can I use ground coffee instead of instant espresso powder for muffins?

Most recipes ask for instant espresso powder. I was going to grind beans I have very finely and hope that worked but dont want to screw up an entire recipe! HELP!

asked by Natalie about 1 month ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer, Food52

added about 1 month ago

It definitely adds some texture, but it's not too gritty for me.

Natalie
added about 1 month ago

Okay. So for a muffin recipe (12 muffins) how many tbsp of ground do you recommend?

added about 1 month ago

Just to add to Emma's vote, I use finely ground coffee or instant espresso interchangeably in baking, depending on what's on hand.
On volume, I would go sparingly at first, then add more if you prefer.
One recipe I know uses 2 tbsp for about 14 muffins, so use 1 to 1.5 Tbsp for your first batch of a dozen.

Natalie
added about 1 month ago

Thanks Nancy and Emma both super helpful! Just put them in the oven!

judith@hudsonvalleycooking

Yes!