A question about a recipe: Espresso Buttercream

A46c34d8 4032 4dbc bc24 5bb5676f5f76  ddddc71c0ee611e2ada322000a1de77a 7

I have a question about the recipe "Espresso Buttercream" from melomel. I would like to make this recipe but I don't have 'instant espresso powder' I have coffee in powder, or I can make an espresso cup with it. Is there a way to use real coffee in this recipe? Let me know if not, and I'll try to buy some instant coffee...

asked by Gilda O 2 months ago

similar question addressed here...
https://food52.com/hotline...

Gilda O

Thank you very much Nancy! ^^

Windischgirl

I don’t know if your recipe calls for a sugar syrup to be added to the buttercream to sweeten it, but if so, you could use coffee for the liquid when making the syrup.
I had leftover coffee and turned it into coffee syrup, which I use to sweeten iced coffee and to add to desserts (tiramisu, anyone?).
The other think you could try is putting the sugar and coarsely ground coffee in a food processor and grind both till fine, imbuing the sugar with coffee flavor and helping the sugar dissolve more quickly when beating it into the butter.

Gilda O

Thank you, this one does not have a syrup but I'll keep this in mind for recipes that do.

BakerRB

If you have instant coffee powder rather than instant espresso powder, that'll work fine, just use a little extra. If you have ground coffee beans they will impart coffee flavor but a gritty texture even when ground to as fine a powder as possible. I loathe the texture, but it seems not to bother most people so it should be fine to use it.

Gilda O

Great, thank you!