A question about a recipe: Violet Bakery's Cinnamon Buns

If I want to make the Violet Bakery Cinnamon Buns more like the classic cinnamon buns, will it be okay if I omit the cardamom in the dough and would it work if I bake it in a 8x8 square pan ? Also if I want to add a cream cheese frosting or glaze, should I add it on top of the sugar or should I just not do the sugar coating?

• Posted by: Mimi
  • July 7, 2018

Smaug July 7, 2018

Well, since no one else is saying anything- just from looking at the recipe that's a lot of cardamom, so it would seem to be an important element of the recipe; it would not spoil it to omit the cardamom, but it wouldn't be the same dish- there are plenty of recipes for cinnamon buns; maybe it would be better to look a little more for one that you don't feel the need to alter the first time through. The muffin pan is a little odd, no reason that this recipe wouldn't work in a single pan (though 8x8 might be too small), but why do it? If you feel like making basic alterations like this the first time through a recipe, and those two things strike me as most of what's unique about this recipe, it's usually better to find another. Not that it would hurt anything to try it your way, but I wouldn't present them as "Violet Bakery …", the glaze and frosting would be too much, best one or the other.

Nancy July 7, 2018

What is it you like about the Violet Bakery cinnamon rolls Recipe?
Unless it's the non-traditional non-yeast formula, suggest using a traditional yeast-based recipe.
Yes eliminate the sugar topping ifyou are going to use a glaze or cream cheese icing.
Omitting the cardamom & the sugar topping won't change the structure or baking time of the Violet Bakery rolls.
I think an 8x8 pan will be too small.
Better use a lasagna-type pan (9x13) or a large round pan like a Bundt or tube pan.

Nancy July 8, 2018

Traditional yeast recipe by Erin McDowell at this site
https://food52.com/recipes...

Emily
Emily July 9, 2018

Agreed - spices can almost always be changed for preference. Add more cinnamon if you want, or ginger or nutmeg. Substitute cream cheese for the sugar glaze. Making cinnamon rolls in muffin tins is convenient, but it's just dough - it should work fine in a 9x13 pan or two circular ones.