A question about a recipe: Michael Ruhlman's Pasta with Tomato Water, Basil, and Garlic

Bcb38808 7b60 4b88 bfcd d6c612d9d13d  14784151680 5687dc752d b

I have a question about the recipe "Michael Ruhlman's Pasta with Tomato Water, Basil, and Garlic" from Genius Recipes. I've gotten bombarded with tomatoes from my garden that I had to freeze before they went bad. I froze them whole. Will freezing the tomatoes sacrifice the flavor of this dish?

asked by Jessica 4 months ago

former Community Editor

I would recommend making this pasta with the tomatoes that are still coming out of your garden now, and saving the frozen ones for a different dish later on.

paseo

Just a wee bit, but still much better flavor than tomatoes in January at the market. I have been freezing them whole for years and its really worth the minor effort.

Not so much a matter of flavor, but freezing will burst cells in the tomato causing them to be mushy . Frozen tomatoes work very well for cooked sauces, but this wouldn't be a great choice.

Ttrockwood

Yes.
Use the frozen tomatoes for a different recipe, one where the tomatoes are cooked