Udon Miso Soup - 4 Days Old! Still okay?

Hello! On Friday, I went to a small Japanese restaurant and got udon miso soup. We put it in the fridge as soon as we got home, but it’s been 4 days and I’m worried it won’t be good to eat. I have emetophobia, so I don’t want to get food poisoning or some sort of stomach problem from this. Will I be okay? How can I tell if it’s bad?

asked by Tara 4 months ago

Tara

Nevermind. I won’t be eating it.

Stephanie B.

In my opinion the stock used for miso soup doesn't age well. Health concerns aside, the flavor just doesn't keep. The other issue is the udon - if your noodles have been sitting in broth for 4 days I'd toss it, they'll be completely mushy. Sugars/starch from mushy noodles + broth sounds like a great growth medium for bacteria to me. And if getting food poisoning is something you're worried about, just don't eat it.