Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Does anyone know of a recipe for the Japanese Soup (not miso)?

There was a recent post on Food52 with instructions on making Dashi. I've been trying to recreate the simple soup given at Teppanyaki/Hibachi restaurants but I haven't had much luck thus far. Kombu + Bonito definitely made a nice base but it's definitely more earthy. I was thinking of starting with a Mushroom Dashi.. Would anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

asked by Billy Bennett almost 3 years ago
84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I believe the soup you're referring to is just known as "clear soup"... Broth with a couple small mushrooms or mushroom slices, plus either crispy fried onion slices or scallions? I don't see any recipes on Food52 but Google should be able to help you out. Please share if you find a good recipe!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Dashi powder is available at most asian stores.

To make Dashi from scratch you 3 things: Water, Bonito Flakes, and Konbu seaweed.
Like most Japaneese cooking, it's very delicate and depends on technique.
With that in mind:
Start with 1qt water, 1oz Kombu (aka Kelp) (about 6 inches square). 1oz (30g) Bonito flakes.
Whipe down the konbu with a wet towel and put in simmering water...don't let it boil. In about 10 mins the Kombu will be soft give up it's flavor--remove it.
Bring the pot to a slow boil. Add 1/4 cup of water to bring it down and turn down the heat and add the Bonito Flakes. Bring to a boil just few second and remove from heat and let them settle. (about 1 min). Then strain the broth.
This is "primary dashi" by simming the reserved fish flakes and seaweed you can make a seondary Dashi used some soups and basic cooking.

Adapted from "Japaneese Cooking A Simple Art" By Shizuo Tsuji.

Also...the soup you might be thinking might be the 'secondary Dashi" that uses the leftover bonito and seaweed and doesn't the pronounced bonito taste/smell; Sometimes dried mushrooms and ginger are added to boost the flavor depending on the season. And it's served with strained of those in bowls with thinly sliced mushroom and scallions.

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese...