How do I get the salsa smell out of the jar lid?

The glass jar is now clean and odorless, but the lid is ... well, it's not. I tried baking soda and vinegar and a water-baking soda paste. Any other ideas before I deem this jar a lost cause?

asked by Diana 3 months ago

Run it through the dishwasher. Or soak in a bowl of water with a few drops of bleach added, then rinse very well.

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Yes, and after soaking in water with a bit of bleach + rinsing well, leave the lid out in the sun if possible for a day. (The sun is a great deodorizer for sponges, too.)

Diana

Bleach got most of the smell out, but some lingered, possibly because I used very little. Thanks for the suggestion!

Val F

Lemon or lime?

Soak in hot soapy water for about 15-20 minutes.

Lori Terwilliger

You might also try soaking it with a denture cleaner tablet. I use those to clean vases, and discovered they also work wonders to help remove stains and odors from plastic containers. Yeah- no more bento box smelling like tuna! Depending on the size of it, you might want more than one tablet, and try to soak it several hours or overnight.

Diana

I tried bleach first, which got most of the smell out. Then this got the rest. I'll go straight to the denture tablet next time. Thanks!

Amanda

After washing, soak in warm water mixed with a little bi-carb (baking) soda! Then rinse and scrub with warm soapy water.

Amanda

Oh! Sorry didn't see that you had already tried baking soda!

Fill the jar with salt.
Leave a week or so.
Test jar lid.
If it fails sniff test, leave another week.
When jar Iid is ok, move salt to another container.