I am making Beef Bourguignon for the first time. I was offered steer tenderloin meat for the stew. Will this work, or is it too lean?

asked by Gmarkb about 7 years ago

TiggyBee

It depends on the recipe you're using.. for my own, I love plain old Chuck and slow cooking.

Helen's All Night Diner

I agree with TiggyBee, chuck is great. Another great option is beef short ribs... I would save the tenderloin for another use!

Tenderloin was NOT meant for stew. It doesn't matter what recipe you're following. Personally, for Boeur Bourguignon, I always buy a boneless pot roast and cut it into chunks. I like mine smaller than most folks.

My reason for never buying already cut up "stew meat" any more is that often the meat folks will mix up chunks of various cuts of meat they happen to have left over from trimming. This causes the meat not to cook evenly when it's not all the same type.

...and by the way, all beef sold inbutcher shops or meat sections of markets comes from steer ( which is a castrated male of the species).

latoscana

Stews are a brilliant solution for tenderizing lesser cuts - that slow heat brings out juices and flavors while making the meat not just edible, but tender and delicious.

I agree, agree, agree. Everyone is right, including you! Chuck or short ribs (my favorite) are loaded with collagen, which over the course of a luxuriously long, slow braising time, along with an acid of some sort, breaks down into that silky, falling apart consistency that makes boeuf bourgignon so heavenly, especially at the tail end of what has been one heck of a long winter. Freeze the tenderloin and grill it for an outside dinner when summer comes. If ever.

Gmarkb

Thank you all so much for your comments. I suspected the tenderloin was not the way to go, and that chuck is best for a slow braise. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Mark