Favorite Fall Recipes

With autumn coming soon, what is your favorite fall recipe you can't wait to make?
I have my favorites chili, stew and anything pumpkin but always open to new suggestions.
BB🍏🌽

asked 23 days ago

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Roasted butternut squash , Beef Bourguignon, short ribs and lots of red wine! Definitely the best season to cook.

louisez

Pumpkin butter, roasted pumpkin seeds

Lori Terwilliger

Pumpkin or butternut squash ravioli, with sage butter and pancetta sauce, pork braised in cider and apple butter, Belgian stew over stoemp, sauerkraut, choucroute garnie, fisherman's pie, Brandade ( if I can find salt cod).

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Forgot about the ravioli, good choice

I'll just be happy to be able to use the oven again, it was relentlessly hot here all summer. I'll try to get some pies in while there's still some summer produce around, maybe a yam or two.

Stephanie B.

Apart from the beauty of life that is Thanksgiving food, I enjoy this recipe a lot: https://food52.com/recipes...
I make fresh noodles for it and the simple sauce + fresh noodles can't be beat.

I can't remember where the recipe is, but stuffed pumpkin. Little pumpkins stuffed with old bread, cheese, herbs, bacon, and cream, baked until the pumpkins are cooked and browning, the filling is a melty, cheesy, bacon-y dream.

CiderTea: Spiced apple cider mixed with red tea. Sometimes I find full apple cider too sweet (even without added sugar) and I started diluting it with red tea. The woody red tea goes really well with cider, and it makes a delicious, cozy beverage.

And I know it's not a fall food per se, but Alice Waters' ratatouille is an end of summer/getting into fall must for me. I don't care what anyone says about it having too many shortcuts, I love it.

Thank you! Yes, that cheesy filled pumpkin is delicious! It was one of the contest entries a couple of years ago. I think I printed it out. I'll check tomorrow, it was great!

Agree with suggestions so far.
Like your Cider and Red Tea idea.
Many people have stuffed pumpkin recipes; this one from Dorie Greenspan is especially good and flexible:
https://www.epicurious...
Also:
tree fruit, like plums, in compotes and pastries.
breads laced with fall fruits and vegetables (apples, squash, etc)
end-of-summer stews lingering into fall
apples (I know some people find them boring - or is only the varieties the supermarkets sell? - but there are so many ways to use them).

Stephanie B.

Nancy that's the exact recipe I was thinking of! I like fall fruit and veggie laced bread idea too.

These ALL sound delcious!
The apple orchard opened this past week. For now they have Honeycrisp, Macintosh, and Asian pears. It's fun because there is so much more to come and great to look forward to it. Time to pull out all my apple dessert recipes! like my apple tarts I love those things so easy. You just use puff pastry from the frozen case, sugar cinnamon apples butter and dried cranberries.

louisez

Persimmons

I have never eating a persimmon. What do they taste like?

Miss Karen

My mom used to make persimmon cookies...

Stephanie G

I can't wait for persimmons!
Lori, can you share your pork braised in cider and apple butter recipe?

Lori Terwilliger

I'll gladly share the recipe, as best I can anyway. Start with a nice squat pork loin roast- one that is rather more flat and rectangular than rounded, if you follow, with a nice fat cap if you can find it. I can't give an exact weight, but I believe it will work with a roast anywhere from 3-5 pounds. Season that with salt and pepper, and then brown it in a bit of vegetable oil. Transfer to your baking pan, fat side up. In that same pan, saute the onion to soften a bit, along with a pinch of thyme, about 1 teaspoon of rubbed sage, 2-3 smashed and chopped garlic cloves. That goes in the pan, beneath or beside the roast. Then mix 1 pint- 2 cups, of apple butter with 2 cups of apple cider. Pour that over the roast. I bake it at 350F for about an hour- depending on the size of the roast, or until the internal temp hits 145F. Or you can do it in a slow cooker, 8-10 hours. In the oven, I like to baste the roast once, but it's not necessary. I make my own apple butter, and put it up in pint jars, so that's what I use. But you could use any good quality apple butter. I also love to use the apple cider produced by the orchard where I get my apples, come fall season. But I've used regular cider just fine, too. When the roast is done, I make a slurry of cornstarch with a bit of the jus from the roast, and use that to thicken up the sauce.
If you cook the roast longer, it will shred nicely for pulled pork sandwiches or tacos, too. And if you can't get a pork loin roast, you can also do this with a boned shoulder or butt roast. I suppose I really should nail down my measurements and post it to the site, but after seeing so many of the wonderful recipes, it seems kind of dowdy and simple.

Stephanie G

Thank you Lori! I can't wait to make this.

Ted
Ted

One of mine, and I like it in winter and early Spring is Bib Caggiano's "Pasta with ham, leaks and peas" from her book Modern Italian Cooking. (And google should be able to find that recipe for you.) It come together very quickly, and is just great on a damp, drizzly, cold evening.

Ted
Ted

Of course it's "Biba Caggiano", not "Bib".

Miss Karen

Pumpkin bisque soup. I also make apple parsnip soup with a recipe from a 5star 5 diamond resort.