tuna salad for sandwiches?

I'm looking for some ideas for making tuna salad for use as a sandwich filling.

I'm used to a can of tuna (drained) with chopped picked (whatever I have in the fridge) with mayonnaise. Or tuna with sautéed mushrooms and bacon bits and mayo.

I've been wondering what else could be done to make a tuna salad delicious? (Are there particular herbs or spices that go well with tuna?)

Thank you for suggestions.

asked by Ted 3 months ago

ktr
ktr

I like to add sun dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives.

Ted
Ted

Thank you.

louisez

Lemon juice, dill, celery (as well as some celery leaves)

Ted
Ted

Thank you.

Think of some dishes you like that might be compatible with tuna & adapt those flavors to your salads. For examples, use these dishes as jumping off points:
sushi: scallion, sesame oil, wasabi paste, soy sauce.
salade nicoise: olive oil, Dijon mustard, cider or red wine vinegar, capers, olives, parsley, tarragon and/or chervil, anchovies
nachos or 7-layer dip: sour cream, avocado or guacamole, salsa, olives, tomatoes, Mexican oregano

Ted
Ted

Thank you. One of the things I realized is that I don't eat tuna -- except as a sandwich filling. But these three ideas are helpful in thinking outside my box.

I use tuna many different ways.
For tuna salad, tuna, olive oil mayo, celery and cucumber diced, and lemon pepper. Serve on favorite bread, my choice oat bread.
Tuna Melts - mix tuna with mayo, diced celery, spread on both sides french roll,
Top with slices of swiss and place under the broiler until cheese melts. Serve open face.
Salad-Red leaf and romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, black olives, flake tuna on top of salad, squeeze of lemon juice on tuna, Italian dressing.
BB💐

Ted
Ted

Thank you.

I use tuna many different ways.
BB💐

Ted
Ted

Thank you.

I always considered sweet pickle relish a necessity. Tuna salad is the only context in which I've ever been able to stand mayonnaise. Also a little odd- cold tuna salad on toasted bread- sounds crazy, tastes great.

Ted
Ted

Ah: tuna salad on toast. A nice contrast in texture. Thank you.

There's this:

https://food52.com/recipes...

Ted
Ted

Thank you.

MMH
MMH

My daughter was a life guard this summer. I packed things for her which she could keep in the fridge. She loved tuna with olive oil salt and pepper, celery, red onion and white beans. No sandwich.

Ted
Ted

Thank you.

Ttrockwood

I was at a restaurant recently that had a tuna made with mashed avocado in place of the mayo, and listed chopped celery, onion, and capers as well. They served on an open faced toast.
With the avocado mixed in that’s something to eat asap, wouldn’t keep well in the fridge

If you want to play with different seasonings some fresh or dried dill, or tarragon would be a good start. Celery seed or chopped celery is a classic addition, a splash of pickle juice and spoon of dijon mustard were my dad’s favorites

Ted
Ted

Thank you.

scruz

i once had a tuna salad sandwich with thin slices of artichoke hearts (pickled) on bread and it was really good. i do like diced cornichons, celery and sometimes a squeeze of lemon.

scruz

oh, and diced onion that i have soaked, squeezed and rinsed to take away the harsh onion flavor.