A question about a recipe: Pot Roast With 40 Cloves of Garlic

1b487410 3733 4dce a8e7 2a368af4ccbf  2018 0921 pot roast with 40 cloves of garlic 3x2 jenny huang 110 1

I have a question about the recipe "Pot Roast With 40 Cloves of Garlic" from Emma Laperruque. Beef fat isn’t mentioned in the ingredient list but shows up in the recipe. Is it just trimmings from the chuck?

asked by Kathy Burle 2 months ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I may be wrong but I think the "beef fat" is the fat rendered from searing the meat and the vegetables are tossed in it.

I agree with Pat; I think the wording could be clearer; sauté the carrots/onions in the rendered beef fat in the pan.

Agree. And it your need doesn't give you enough far to proceed, supplement with some good tasting fat on hand.

The way chuck roasts are usually cut for pot roast, you'll have way more fat than you could possibly need just from that- in fact you really don't need the canola oil to get it started. I usually trim what fat I can before I start it, but it's mostly between separate muscles and can't be removed while keeping the meat in one piece; I usually stop the cooking partway through and refrigerate the liquid- a great deal of excess fat can be removed that way.

Kathy Burle

That makes sense - thanks!!

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Kathy! +1 to the other responses already here: "Beef fat" refers to the rendered fat from searing the beef. Thanks to everyone for responding so swiftly!