A question about a recipe: Pot Roast With 40 Cloves of Garlic

I have a question about the recipe "Pot Roast With 40 Cloves of Garlic" from Emma Laperruque. Beef fat isn’t mentioned in the ingredient list but shows up in the recipe. Is it just trimmings from the chuck?

1b487410 3733 4dce a8e7 2a368af4ccbf  2018 0921 pot roast with 40 cloves of garlic 3x2 jenny huang 110 1
Recipe question for: Pot Roast With 40 Cloves of Garlic

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen October 7, 2018

I may be wrong but I think the "beef fat" is the fat rendered from searing the meat and the vegetables are tossed in it.

creamtea October 7, 2018

I agree with Pat; I think the wording could be clearer; sauté the carrots/onions in the rendered beef fat in the pan.

Nancy October 7, 2018

Agree. And it your need doesn't give you enough far to proceed, supplement with some good tasting fat on hand.

Smaug October 7, 2018

The way chuck roasts are usually cut for pot roast, you'll have way more fat than you could possibly need just from that- in fact you really don't need the canola oil to get it started. I usually trim what fat I can before I start it, but it's mostly between separate muscles and can't be removed while keeping the meat in one piece; I usually stop the cooking partway through and refrigerate the liquid- a great deal of excess fat can be removed that way.

Kathy Burle
Kathy Burle October 7, 2018

That makes sense - thanks!!

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque October 7, 2018

Hi Kathy! +1 to the other responses already here: "Beef fat" refers to the rendered fat from searing the beef. Thanks to everyone for responding so swiftly!